Deploy another GitHub branch
APPLIES TO: or
In rare occasions, like testing a specific fix or a feature that is not released yet (i.e. not in the
master branch) you might need to deploy another branch like
dev in the example below.
Do not deploy
dev or a branch other than
master unless directed to do so (except if you know why you are doing so).
Step1: Update your repository in GitHub⌁
- Click here to log in at GitHub: https://github.com/login.
- Enter your username or email and your password. Click
- Select your own
- Your repository will open.
- In the branch drop down menu (normally showing
Fetch upstreamto update it, then
Fetch and merge
- After a moment, your repository should display
This branch is up to date with nightscout:dev
- If you ran into trouble, try to Redeploy.
Step2: Deploy in Heroku⌁
- Skip this step for Railway
- Log in Heroku https://id.heroku.com/login
Salesforce requires two-factor-authentication for more Heroku security, this is mandatory starting Feb 2022. For an overview of possible methods see here.
- Select your app (hidden in yellow)
- Click on
- Verify Heroku is connected to GitHub, if not, click
Connect to GitHub
- If Heroku is not connected to GitHub, scroll down and click
Connect to GitHub, if a popup window opens and requires authorization, click
- Verify your app
cgm-remote-monitoris connected to GitHub
- If it isn't, In
Connect to GitHub, type
- If you have trouble connecting your app, click
Disconnectand reconnect it as shown above
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, select the
devbranch and click
- Build will start and information will scroll in the log window. Do not leave the page, do not interfere and wait for completion. It might take more than 10 minutes. Interrupting the process will lead to a broken site and you'll need to restart deployment.
- Wait until the deploy process completes and click
View(if nothing happens click
Manage Appthen upper right
- Your site will open and should be at the latest version.
- Check your profile time zone is correct. You're done!
Step2: Deploy in Railway⌁
- Open Railway and click
login. Login with GitHub.
- Select your Nightscout project.
- Select your web app.
Settingsand look into
dev(it was showing
If you only see
masterin the list you need to delete and fork your Nightscout repository in GitHub taking care to select all branches when you reach the following step!.
devselected Railway will deploy automatically.
How to return to the
If things don't go as expected you can simply redeploy your master branch selecting it in the drop down menu:
When the dev branch gets merged into release, just follow the classic update method.